Although we all like it Sunny side up, sometimes it gets agonizing sweating it out in the un-airconditioned kitchen holding the hunger in. As if the blast of heat from the ceiling is not enough… which is why our ancestors identified some filling one pot meals that can be prepared in no time and cools down our burning internal system!
My Recipe Corner
- Heat the oil in a large Kadai, add 1tsp mustard seeds, 1tsp cumin seeds, 1 tsp urad dal, 1 tsp chana dal, generous pinch of hing, few curry leaves and 1 dried red chilli allow to splutter and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Now add 2-3 tbsp raw peanuts and broken cashew nuts (as per your taste) and roast till cashews turn golden brown
- At this stage some recipes suggest adding finely chopped onions and saute till they turn color — traditional recipes do not add onions
- Next, add 1 green chilli, 1 inch ginger, and ½ tsp turmeric. saute for a few seconds.
- Some recipes suggest adding grated coconut to the earlier step < that’s a variation — add if you prefer>
- Then add the 2 cups of cooked rice (make sure the rice is completely cooled before adding it, leftover cooked rice is preferred) and add salt, mix gently so rice does not break and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Switch off the flame, now add 1/2 lemon squeezed into lemon juice and finely chopped coriander and mix well.
- Serve hot with Papad, Vethal/ Vadaam/ Chips or even Aaloo Fry!
Top Recipe Recommendations
My Improv & Notes
- Let the rice cool before adding the seasonings. If you have leftover rice at home, then it would be best to use that up for making Lemon Rice!
- Do not overcook the rice. It should be grainy. Add a tsp of oil when cooking the rice to make sure it comes out non- sticky
- I like my lemon Rice with plenty of nuts. I combine – Peanuts and Cashewnuts roasted in Ghee together with some Chana Dal
- Another variation I’m fond of is adding in grated raw mangoes which would give flavor to it. Try it this Summer!
- Lastly and most importantly,add lemon juice after switching off the flame followed by a rough mix