Hey hey! Tempted much? A certain number of years ago, my first ever attempt at Veggie Pizza was by making Bread based Pizza. It was sufficiently filling, equally appetizing and obviously I didn’t have to go shopping for Pizza base!
When your family craves Pizza, you do too. But when YOUR tummy growls for Pizza first, you don’t think twice, you either order in, dine in at a Pizza store near you or…. just end up trying at home!
How to make Bread Pizza?
What type of bread to use? – Regular white bread, wheat bread or brown bread can be used or you can even find a fresh loaf of french bread right in the bakery for only $1! I stock up and put 2 or 3 of them in my freezer to use for pizzas later
How to make Pizza Sauce? (you also use tomato ketchup instead) – Blanch tomatoes ,peel the skin and grind it to a puree. Heat olive oil in a pan and add red chili powder, red chili flakes, basil, oregano and salt. Cook until the raw flavor of the tomato goes and the sauce thickens. Voila!
Bread Pizza Recipe
- Preheat the oven at 180 degree C for 10 minutes
- Take the bread slices and cut them into rounds using a katori or simply use the whole slice of bread
- Grease the bread completely with olive oil and toast lightly on tawa
- Arrange the bread on a baking tray. Spread 1-2 tsp of the pizza sauce (recipe below) or tomato ketchup evenly on the bread slices
- Then add your favorite toppings – like thinly sliced onions, thinly sliced bell peppers (red and yellow), Jalapeno peppers, sliced mushrooms (optional), black olives (optional) and sweet corn. You can also use Paneer and tomatoes (seeds removed). I recommend not loading your bread with a lot of toppings
- And of course, the more important generous sprinkle of grated Mozzarella cheese over the toppings
7. Grill in a preheated oven at 350°F/180°C until the cheese starts to melt
7. Heat a tawa, dial the heat down to low and place the prepared bread slice with the toppings on the tawa. Close it with a lid and simmer until the cheese melts
8. Finally, serve the bread pizza hot with chili flakes and oregano on top
This is one way to make Vegetarian Bread Pizza. Wanna look into some different recipes?
My Top Recipe Recommendations
- Traditional – quick and easy Indian Bread Pizza – Interesting use of Schezwan Chutney!
- Tawa Pizza Bread Sandwich – Typical bread pizza in Toasted Sandwich!
- Cheese Garlic Bread on White Bread!
- Indian Suji Toast / Indian Bread Pizza using Rava/Semolina – Very old or very own Rava based Crispy Bread Pizza
- Bread Pizza Recipe using Oven and Tawa; Includes sauce preparation too! – check out her final presentation
- French Bread Pizza with French Onion Dip– YUM!
- Bread Pizza in Microwave Oven – Easy Recipe – Round shaped yummy pizzas for your kid’s lunchbox!
My Improvs & Notes
- Some folks saute the veggies in a pan with olive oil for 2 minutes before using them as pizza toppings. Try to make sure the crunchiness of raw veggies remain!
- If using pizza sauce in place of tomato ketchup, try freshly preparing it, as it’s more flavorful!
- Do NOT using too many toppings – bread pizza will break from the weight and turn all soggy. Keep it simple!
- For Tawa Prep – cover the bread pizza with a lid else the cheese does not melt easily
- Additionally, top with basil leaves for extra flavor!
Restaurants Serving Best Bread Pizza in Bay Area
None that I know of! Will update this section when I find restaurants serving them.