Best Occasion to Prepare this Recipe
Having people over at home? Hosting a party? Or just feel like loading up on sugar, spice and everything nice? 😉 North Indian Cuisine offers innumerable choices of gravy varieties to pick from and all of them enriched by their own unique combination of spices.
Everytime we think of Dhaba food, we think Kadai Paneer. Also, every time my sister visits home, this is one of her asks; why visit Dhaba when you can bring it to home?
This paneer recipe is traditionally made in Kadai/wok as the name suggests. It is made using tangy juicy tomatoes melted to form a curry sauce that coats colorful bell peppers. Kadai paneer recipe uses a Masala called Kadai Masala, this spice mix differentiates it from other Indian curry recipes. Also, popularly this recipe is made dry, semi-dry and gravy style to suit your need.
The prep time on this dish is nearly 10mins with a total cook time of only 25-30 mins. Just made up your mind? Then start cooking!!
PS: Kadai Paneer Gravy Masala pairs great with Tandoori Rotis, Tawa Roti, Naan (Any kind), Kulcha or Laccha Paratha
My Top Recipe Recommendations
Kadai Paneer Dry/Semi Recipes
- Rachna’s Kitchen – Kadai Paneer Dry
- Indian Healthy Recipes- Kadai Paneer/Karahi Paneer
- Raks Kitchen – Kadai Paneer Dry
- Vegecravings – Kadai Paneer Dry
- Pickometer Score 4.60/5.0 Prep styles are different in each. Pick the one closer to your taste!
Kadai Paneer Gravy Recipes
- Vegecravings – Kadai Paneer Gravy
- Veg Recipes of India-Kadai Paneer Gravy
- Khana Manpasand – Kadai Paneer Gravy
- Pickometer Score 4.50/5.0 Again all three are very different in Prep style. Simple and Inspired!
My Improv & Notes
- Kadai Masala mainly comprises of FRESHLY powdered coriander seeds and red chilies (in larger proportion) together with Cinnamon, cloves, jeera, saunf, cardamom, pepper and small piece of Bay Leaf– dry roast them before they’re ground. Using freshly powdered spice mix makes all the difference to the taste of this gravy
- The smoky Dhaba taste of this dish comes from preparing it in a Kadai, if you have no Kadai at home, use wok instead
- Capsicum can be diced symmetric, but julienne means faster cooking
- As you might have read in many blogs already- try using sweet, ripe tomatoes (if not, add in 1/2 tsp tomato ketchup for sweetness), and Paneer prepared at home. If you purchased Paneer from a store, soak it in a bowl filled with hot water and add in a pinch of turmeric- it’ll soften the texture of Paneer
- Dont overcook the Paneer as they turn rubbery and stretchy. You don’t wanna chew hard and not enjoy the taste of fresh soft paneer
- This gravy is best served with onion rings and lemon wedges with Butter Naan, Garlic Naan or Tandoori Roti