Best Occasion to Prepare this Recipe
Feeling like Indo-Chinese today? Me too! But you know what? It took me 1 hour to narrow down my choice to Indo-Chinese cuisine for dinner. Took another 30 minutes to decide on Fried Rice and then thanks to the Internet, took me 15 more to decide which variation of Fried Rice!?!? 😐
Now.. allow me to spread the same joy! 😛
I’m sure the tradition of eating out with your family also [closes] with Fried Rice. It’s a long-standing custom we hate to break.. I know! Why always finishing up a meal with Fried Rice or Noodles.. we never know… but we love it and don’t want to change that! This Desi Chinese cuisine is said to have been developed by the small Chinese community that has lived in Kolkata for over a century. Today, Chinese food is an integral part of the Indian culinary scene. It is also enjoyed by Indian and Chinese communities in North America. I can vouch for that ’cause there are many popular Indo-Chinese chains here in Sunnyvale, California.
Similar to many popular Indian Food varieties, the Fried Rice recipe has innumerable variants. Some popular names from the Restaurant menus being- Veg Fried Rice, Schezwan Fried Rice, Hakka Fried Rice, Burnt Garlic/ Chili Garlic Fried Rice, Pineapple Fried Rice, etc. As I’m typing, a new variation is being invented.. Given the constraint of space and time, I’m going to feed you with the foodie favorites in this blog post.
PS: This recipe pairs best with tomato Ketchup, Chili Garlic sauce, Momo Sauce, Sweet Chili sauce, Sriracha Sauce, Veg Manchurian gravy, and even Raita!
My Top Recipe Recommendations
For those of you who enjoy Egg-based Fried Rice, I’ve added in a good recipe as well!
- Vegetable Fried Rice Recipe – this is exactly the recipe I use to cook Veggie Fried Rice and I can vouch that it tastes authentic. Beauty of this recipe is in it’s simplicity
- Schezwan Fried Rice Recipe – just take a look at the color and preparation – I could simply watch it again! The “how to” of homemade Schezwan sauce is also included within.
- Burnt Garlic Fried Rice Recipe – As Chinese as it can get. Trick is in cooking garlic to the right amount – don’t turn it black in the process of burning it. Buy some Chili Sauce if you don’t have it at home
- Egg Fried Rice Street Food Recipe – For me, Egg fried rice is synonymous to Street Fried Rice. Some of the best Fried Rice Recipes that I’ve tried so far were from the streets of Hyderabad, India. Here’s a recipe that is as authentic as it can get. Try the prep style and leave the rest to the Masalas!
- Mexican Fried Rice Recipe – Got left over rice and wondering how to use that up? This recipe is a perfect Oriental lunchbox dish. How’s is it unique? – Check out the veggies used, spices added and oh yes- they add in Omelette to go with the Fried Rice!
- Singapore Fried Rice (Veggie) – Cashew nuts, Raisins, Green Onions and Mushrooms decorate this rich and spicy Singapore Fried Rice
- Sweet Corn Fried Rice Recipe – When you check the internet, most of the sweet corn fried rice recipes seem and taste not very different from Veggie Fried Rice, with literally the same ingredients. I found this Andhra/very Desi recipe that stands by its name
- Pineapple Fried Rice Recipe – This recipe is quite popular in Singapore and is served in many Thai Restaurants in India. The recipe is loaded with sweetness of nuts and Pineapple. For the lovers of Kashmiri Pulao, this one is a treat!
My Improvs & Notes
- If you have left over rice, prepare veg fried rice. If you didn’t plan ahead and want to keep fresh white rice, try to cook Basmati rice in a non stick kadai (kept closed) and add in oil to keep rice from sticking together. You’ll see moisture content in this cooking method is 90% lesser and is non sticky. Always avoid pressure cooking when preparing Fried Rice
- The whole procedure of cooking Veggies and adding in Rice should be done on high flame
- Veggies should be chopped finely. Adding finely chopped mushrooms along with vegetables makes it even more delicious
- Soy sauce should be used in moderation for health reasons. It’s definitely one of the game changers for Fried Rice. It is a naturally salty ingredient, hence don’t overuse it. Also, naturally brewed Soy Sauce doesn’t have all the harsh chemicals- just so you’re aware before making a purchase
- Also, vinegar is another essential taste maker. Use it in moderation as it’ll make the rice a little too tangy if not
- Freshly ground pepper will be a lot more flavorful
Restaurants Serving Best Fried Rice in Bay Area